- Good Sam Club News - http://blog.goodsamclub.com -
How To Get Started On The Road To Health
Posted By Bob Perry On September 22, 2010 @ 4:38 am In Health Tips | No Comments
Everyone knows that exercising is beneficial to your health, in some cases, even life saving. So why isn’t everyone exercising? While reasons for not attempting a program or failing at one varies from person to person, many Americans simply lack the “know how” to begin an exercise program and sticking to it. Here are four steps that mentally and physically will help you down the road to a healthier you:
1. Goal Planning – Sit down and write out what exactly it is you want to achieve. The goal could range from weight loss, to building strength and endurance, or even to relieve depression. Be honest with yourself and make your goals realistic. Everyone is made up differently. Never compare yourself to someone else; it’s genetically impossible!
2. You Need A Plan To Succeed – Now that you have your goal, write down the steps you are going to take to get there. It’s impossible to reach that higher level without taking one step at a time. Picture your goal as a flight of stairs; without steps it’s impossible to reach the top. Your small goals could range from losing one pound a week, increasing your cardiovascular exercise a few minutes each week or your plan can be easier than that. Keep it basic and simple, planning out steps that are accomplishable. Get accomplished!
3. Starting Up – Begin your workout routine slowly; two to three times a week is great. Your workout should consist of strength training and cardiovascular exercise. Start your strength training by doing 1 set at 12-15 reps per body part. If you don’t have weights in your cab, carry a couple of extra one-gallon water jugs; less than $3.00. For a water jug work-out program email me. Never work your muscles in back to back days. Start your cardiovascular exercise at 5-10 minutes, and build up to 30-45 minutes. You could also start off by simply walking from the back parking lot, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator, anything that gets your heart rate up. Starting off slow will help you from burning yourself out before you get started.
4. Staying Motivated - The key to long-term success in being healthy, know how to motivate your-self over and over again. If you do the same thing, you will stay the same. Giving some spice into your routine is the first thing that should be done. Always change your exercises every 4-6 weeks. Your muscles will adapt to a certain repetitive motion and will not progress. Not only do your muscles need to be shocked again, but learning new exercises so boredom doesn’t set-in. That also applies for cardiovascular exercise too.
Article printed from Good Sam Club News: http://blog.goodsamclub.com
URL to article: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2010/09/how-to-get-started-on-the-road-to-health/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2010%2F09%2Fhow-to-get-started-on-the-road-to-health%2F
 Image: http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2010%2F09%2Fhow-to-get-started-on-the-road-to-health%2F&title=How+To+Get+Started+On+The+Road+To+Health
 Image: http://www.twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2010%2F09%2Fhow-to-get-started-on-the-road-to-health%2F&text=How+To+Get+Started+On+The+Road+To+Health
 Image: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/shutterstock_59623909_red-check.jpg
 Have Arthritis? Still Can Travel!: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2013/09/have-arthritis-still-can-travel/
 How To Stay Healthy On the Road: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2012/08/rv-health-tips-exercise/
 Dealing with High Blood Pressure on the Road: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2013/05/dealing-with-high-blood-pressure-on-the-road/
Copyright © 2010 Good Sam Club. All rights reserved.