Club News

NEW Benefit! Members Save at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers!

January 3, 2012 by · 97 Comments

Pilot Flying J

Good Sam Club members now enjoy a great new money-saving benefit with Pilot Flying J! This exciting new benefit provides savings on fuel, propane and dump station charges! You’ll simply apply online for your Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card in order to receive this benefit. With 500 locations across the U.S., Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers offer a wide array of conveniences and services tailored for RV travelers, including dedicated RV fuel lanes, travel stores, restaurants, dump stations, propane refills and more!

In addition to saving on fuel, you’ll also enjoy $0.10 off each gallon of bulk propane purchased, 50% off regular dump station charges and at least $0.03 savings per gallon on gas and $0.05 per gallon on diesel.   If you would like to see how much you can save on fuel at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers, sign in and visit the Member Benefits section of our website.

Go to GoodSamClub.com/pfj for a list of locations and to apply for the RV Plus Card today! As a charge card, the new Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card is different from a regular credit card. This card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Therefore, you will be able to receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases. You’ll only receive the fuel savings when using the RV Plus Card as cash payments are not eligible for the discount.

Also, note that as part of the application process through Pilot Flying J, you’ll be required to enter your Social Security Number as a requirement from Pilot Flying J. This is not a Good Sam Club requirement and Good Sam Club will not have visibility to any confidential information provided to Pilot Flying J. If you’re uncomfortable providing your Social Security Number online, you can also contact Pilot Flying J at 1-855-4RV-PLUS (1-855-478-7587) to apply via phone.

Comments

97 Responses to “NEW Benefit! Members Save at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers!”
  1. Colleen Phipps says:

This is not a Good Sam benefit. It is available to anyone who signs up. What is Good Sam coming to when they have to advertise these bogus benefits!

Good Sam says: Colleen, we want to assure you that this benefit is exclusive to Good Sam members. Nonmembers who wish to sign up for a Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card can only do so by enrolling into the Good Sam Club as well. Hope this helps to clarify.

2. Harold Smith says:

I am a Good Sam Life member. will a life member have to buy a membership in the president club at camping world?

Good Sam says: Harold – great news! The Good Sam Club and the President’s Club have merged into one club. So now as a Good Sam life member, you will received all of your Good Sam member benefits as well as the benefits that the President’s Club offers! Therefore, you will not need to purchase any additional memberships to enjoy the discounts at Camping World.

Plus, as a life member, you will receive the highest level of member benefits! Click the link below and log into your Good Sam Club online account to view your personal member benefits.

3. J R says:

I’ve had my “Lazy J” RV Loyalty Card for many years. This isn’t anything new, or a Good Sam benefit at all. (It was even worth while before Pilot took over.)

4. Frank Crivello says:

I was going to apply for my Flying J discount card until the form asked for my Social Security number, NO WAY!
    Why?
    This is the most vulnerable of identification information.

Please respond or correct your request.

5. Les Fenter says:

The discounts are attractive, particularly the advantage of being a Lifetime Member. However, I’m not interested in having yet one more account to manage, keep password for, track & pay each month. Thanks, but no thanks. Then I read about them asking for SSNO??? Done.

6. Glenn Dunn says:

SSNO? Nope. And, the terms and condition page isn’t available to read? You’ve gotta be kidding. You’re trying to sell me another credit card aren’t you. I’ve been a Life Member for 25 years.
    Shame on you Good Sam.

7. Bob Fitzpatrick says:

Not a discount offer. It is a credit card application! Good Sam don’t start lying to us.

8. D. Z. says:

I was completing the application until I realized this is nothing more than another credit card application. You come on to us like this is a good deal for your members. Just tell us up front it’s a “credit card type” application. If you are all about giving your members benefits, then give us benefits and not more credit burdon on our credit ratings.

9. Glada Gorden says:

Good Sam I am so disappointed!!!! This is no loyalty card just another credit card application…. don’t try to trick us. I’ve always had a lot of confidence in the Good Sam organization. You’ve tarnished your image in my opinion!

10. Tom Norman says:

I have a Flying J/Pilot RV Frequent Fueler Card now. What is the difference between the one I have now and the Pilot/Flying J Plus Card?

11. R.A.W. says:

I just paid my presidents card fee yesterday, and then get this today. Does that mean I will get my fee refunded? If not, I am very disappointed in Good Sam Club. It would look as if they are just trying to get another fee.

Good Sam says: We definitely understand where you’re coming from. Please contact Member Services at 1-800-234-3450, and we will be happy to check into your account.

12. Royce Sartain says:

As a life memberI too am was disappointed to see that Good Sam is pushing a Flying J credit care. No thanks I don’t need another card. It deludes my confidence in Good Sam !

13. james hilliard says:

been a camper sins 1975 looks to me like Good Sams Club is becoming Sams Money Pit

14. William Maginot says:

Even with the discount Flying J/Pilot fuel prices tend to be 15-20 cents per gallon higher. I have had their discount card for several years, but seldom use it because of their price. Why doesn’t Good Sam find a supplier that will give a real discount – that would be w real Good Sam benefit!

15. J. A. Glasco says:

Thank you to all who made comments about the “money saving benefit” with the Pilot/Flying J card. Like everyone, I’m looking for ways to save, but after reading all the comments, you have saved me time and aggravation. I don’t need or want another credit card!

16. Everett Salsberry says:

I am not so sure this offering of a credit card is a benifit. I think it is more along the lines of a scam. Good Sam you just lost my Confidence!

17. Miles Johnson says:

Members should read the whole deal before they post negative comments.
    It is true that Pilot/Flying J has offered a “Frequent Fueler Advantage (FFA)” discount for some time which is NOT linked to a “payment card”. It is available to anyone who walks into one of their facilities and asks for one. However, the discounts on FFA cards are only 1/2 of what is offered with this new card. For example, the discount on diesel increases from 3 cents per gallon to 6 cents and there is no $$$$ limit on purchases so your pump will not shut off until your tank is full. So, if you don’t wish to apply for the “payment card”, simply go into any Pilot/Flying J and pick up a “Frequent Fueler Advantage” card. You will still have to register, but you wil; not be required to disclose any financhial or “SS” information.

18. Joe Cusimano says:

To be fair it’s a “charge card” not a credit card. No different from any other fuel company charge card like Shell or BP. However I am a little disappointed. I thought it would simply be a GoodSam branded version of the current Pilot/Flying J card that offerred an “extra” discount for GoodSam members

19. Linda Karl says:

I am a life member and when I realized the Pilot/FlyingJ offer was another credit card I stopped filling out the form.. Besides you can’t pull up the Terms and Conditions. I’m disappointed that Good Sam didn’t tell us this is a credit card, not a benefit. I always felt that Good Sam was watching our back, not so sure any more.

20. Frederic Forehand says:

Life Member comment and info: This RV discount card is not a Good Sam benefit. I have had a Flying J RV discount card for many years. This card is available from Flying J for anyone who applies. A few years ago Pilot corporation took over Flying J corporation and since then I have stopped buying my fuel at Flying J locations. The reason ??? At that merger Pilot imposed their own pricing structure at all Flying J locations nationwide, which on average is and has been 10 cents a gallon higher than all other truck stops (ie: Love’s) and local suppliers. The best fuel discount now available per gallon is the 5 CENTS FOR CASH in addition to their already lower pump prices at these other truck stops and local suppliers. Why doesn’t Good Sam join with a supplier that will give a discount off their pump price in addition to the 5 cents for cash discount??? THAT WOULD BE A REAL GOOD SAM CLUB BENEFIT ! What do you say Good Sam????

21. Frederic Forehand says:

Mr. Miles Johnson—- even at 6 cents a gallon discount, Pilot still has the highest pump prices in the nation. But, in fairness there is a reason, they provide other services to their professional truck driver customer base, such showers and lounges, which are not used by RVers.

22. William R. Iber says:

Sir – do I have to apply for a new card? I followed a procedure where I went online and “registered” my card with Flying J to get the RV benefits, but when I used the card the next time, the pump would not accept the card and I had to go into the store to get my savings refund.

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback! It really helps us. The Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card offers a deeper discount to Good Sam members than the regular Flying J card offers. This is the advantage of this Good Sam Club benefit. And life members receive the deepest discounts on their services.

Also, we understand if you’re uncomfortable providing your Social Security Number online. You can also contact Pilot Flying J about this card by calling 1-855-4RV-PLUS (1-855-478-7587).

Thanks again for your feedback and for being Good Sam members!

Just to provide additional clarification, we wanted you all to know that the Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card is different from a regular credit card. This card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Therefore, you will be able to receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases.

Also, we wanted to let you know that the link to the Terms and Conditions for this card has now been fixed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

25. Bonnie Bartnik says:

While Good Sam & Camping World have just merged, why not ask Flying J & Pilot to just HONOR the new card at their pumps! This would save the Good Sam members from divulging their SS numbers. If an additional number is necessary for them (fuel companies) to process at the pump, it could also be imprinted on the Good Sam “combo” card. It’s really a simple thing. (Many medical cards have already sent out a “combo-type” card. That seems to be working fine.) IS IT WORTH A TRY????

Good Sam says: Thank you for your suggestion. The new cards are required only because they are associated with the Good Sam Club so therefore, Pilot Flying J is able to tell your membership level and provide the fuel discounts accordingly. We do certainly appreciate your feedback as we’re always looking to improve the club.

26. A. Stephens says:

We have a Flying J discount card whch offers discounts, maybe not a good as this new “credit card”. We do not need another credit card to keep track of. I’m very disappointed that Good Sam would offer a program like this.

Good Sam says: We understand your concerns. We do wish to provide clarification in that the Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card is different from a regular credit card. This card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Therefore, you will be able to receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases. And with this new card, Good Sam members receive a deeper discount than other Pilot Flying J cards offer. Hope this helps to clarify, and thank you for being a Good Sam member.

27. Scott Schnelle says:

As Fulltimers, we’ve given up on Pilot/Flying J’s because their prices have gotten out of control compared to everyone else. We spend a lot of money on fuel as it it and now we need to get another card? At least with our regular CC’s we get points that we can use towards gift cards at Christmas. I think I’ll pass and we don’t see this as a benefit at all…

28. Bruce Gentry says:

I am a new Good Sam’s Club member & what I am reading from other members is rather disturbing!!! I am no longer an aarp member because of their lying & deceitful ways of doing business!! Am I a member of yet another type of scam, as aarp is????

Good Sam says: Bruce – first of all, welcome to the Good Sam family. We want to assure you that this benefit was created in an effort to add value to your membership as this is not a credit card but a charge card. Please watch your mailbox or email inbox within the coming days about this new benefit as well as the additional new benefits. During the meantime, you can also view the new benefits offered by signing into your online Good Sam Club account and going to the Member Benefits section.

We want to assure you that we have the best interest of our members in mind, and appreciate your patience during this transition period.

29. Joe Cusimano says:

As I posted earlier today I was a little disappointed with the whole charge card idea but I think many of the comments here are overly harsh and negative. As with any member benefit from any organization, not everyone will use every single member benefit. No one is being forced to use it, but it’s there if you want it. Ask yourselves this: How much was the fuel discount last year? We didn’t have one did we?, so kudos to the GoodSam Club for putting something on the table.

30. Mel Hinchliffe says:

Why dont you make the same offers avalible to your Canadian buddies that you willing take their subscription fees from ??????????????????????????/.

Mel – Unfortunately, the Canadian based Pilot Flying J locations as well as a handful of other locations located in the U.S. are not participating in the program due to their independent contractor’s status. Since they are not solely owned by Pilot Flying J, by contract they do not have to participate. Pilot Flying J has over 500 locations in the United States that will offer the savings when using the RV Plus Card during your travels in the United States. Thanks for being a Good Sam member!

32. Robert Blackwell says:

Pilot’s charge card is a credit card and ask for your SS # , just be late on your monthly statement and the interest will kick in. User/Buyer beware.

Good Sam says: Robert, we understand your concerns and wish to provide clarification in that the Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card is different from a regular credit card. The card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Also, you will receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases. And with this new card, Good Sam members receive a deeper discount than other Pilot Flying J cards offer.

Regarding the need for social security number, this is a requirement from Pilot Flying J in order to extend the credit via the RV Plus Card. This is not a Good Sam Club requirement and Good Sam Club will not have visibility to any confidential information provided to Pilot Flying J. If you’re uncomfortable providing your social security number online, you can also contact Pilot Flying J at 1-855-4RV-PLUS (1-855-478-7587) to apply via phone. This is not a credit card as payment is due in full each month. Payments may be made online or through an automatic-debit payment. Hope this helps to clarify, and thank you for being a Good Sam member.

33. philip racicot says:

I use my discover card for fuel purchases it gives me 2% cash back bonus which equals .08 cents a gallon @$ 4.00 gallon No need for the Flying J RV Plus Card. to get more bang for your buck stick to cash back bonus cards

34. TOM says:

The best Gas prices are at Costco always less than the Fying J

Tom – We understand that our members may have other resources for fuel discounts other than the Good Sam Club, and that not every member will want to take advantage of the Pilot Flying J discounts. We just want to let every Good Sam member know that this new benefit is available to any member who chooses to participate.

Also, there has been some confusion over the type of card that this truly is. We understand your concerns and wish to provide clarification in that the Pilot Flying J RV Plus Card is different from a regular credit card. The card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Also, you will receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases. Hope this helps to clarify a bit. Thanks for being a Good Sam member!

36. Trish says:

Our Costco / Amex card gives us 4% back for gasoline BUT traveling all over the USA there is often no Costco nearby so I was thinking Pilot/J would be a good backup.
    I like the $0.10 gal off propane as well as the $5 dumping charge in the rare times it might be necessary.
    The dumping used to be free…oh well!
    I was filling out the application &
    1) couldn’t believe they wanted my Social Security number &
    2) I didn’t see a place to add a pin number…does this mean that anyone that would find a lost “CHARGE CARD” would be able to us it????
    I will not complete this form until I speak with FJ PILOT…I’ve been waiting on the line for quite awhile ….guess I’m not the only one calling them to clarify the pin & SSN question.

37. robert moore says:

Canadians remember that any bank in Canada that issues a credit card in either US or CD dollars is liable for unortherized purchases, NOT YOU, ALSO you only give your social insurance number to the government not to creditcad companies,or electric co.

38. Pat says:

We understand that the new Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Card is different than a regular credit card. What you “don’t understand” is that members “do not” want another card to carry around and have to pay once a month!!! I agree that the Good Sam Card should have a notation on it that says we get a discount at PIlot/Flying J and where we can use the credit cards that we already have to purchase gas.

Good Sam says: Pat, this is a requirement from Pilot Flying J in order to validate your membership level within their system and in order to extend the credit via the RV Plus Card. We do understand that not all members will want to take advantage of the new Pilot Flying J discount, but we wanted to make it available for those who do wish to participate. We hope you’ll take advantage of our additional money-savings benefits. Thanks for being a Good Sam member!

39. lee case says:

Are you kidding me. Good Sam selling credit cards for FJ?? No way. Keep your special offer. Their prices are getting out of line compared to other vendors. KEEP IT!!

Good Sam says: Lee, we respect your feelings about the RV Plus Card. We do wish to provide some additional clarification in that it is different from a regular credit card as the card must be paid off each month unlike regular credit cards which have revolving debt. Also, you will receive the fuel discounts without accruing interest charges on your purchases. And with this new card, Good Sam members receive a deeper discount than other Pilot Flying J cards offer. Hope this helps! Thanks for being a Good Sam member.

40. kaptainkirk says:

I have been reading the comments and most are pretty negative (shame on the commenters, not Good Sam or PFJ
    Good Sam has, I believe, come up with a great idea and perk here…..you are all complaining about giving up a SSN or other personal info…look at this from the PFJ point of view…..they are “giving” you a valuable thing….say you have a diesel pusher. Many of these have 100 gal. tanks…this is worth up as much as $400 free to use for as long as 30 days (up to $2,500 worth per month if you pay inside the 15 day grace period -then you pay late fees).
    …..I would definitely want to have all the info I could get on whomever I am giving $400 worth of fuel or $2,500 total per month to (name, address, phone#, SSN, etc) to make sure I don’t get stiffed….

Sure Costco sells cheaper gas…(you are paying $50 or more per year for the membership-how many cents off per gal is that worth?)…and Discover gives you 2 cents cash back per gallon….how much interest / annual fee are you paying?
    I see this as another card in my wallet that can be a backup to use when the other fleet card I use (and have to pay off monthly) when my primary fuel location is not available or nearby / convenient.
    They (PFJ) do not charge annual fees, you can purchase anything that PFJ sells, plus discount on fuel, 10 cents off per gal. on propane, 1/2 price on dumping as long as you agree to pay off monthly…..Oh..and attention penny pinchers….$5 IS NOT outlandish for dumping the sewer!!! If you have RV’d at all, you all know you have seen some pretty crappy/scary/run down and extremely filfy-dirty RV dumps – they may have been free…but NOT as clean and well maintained as PFJ dumps. A clean, well stocked, fully functional and operational sewer dump is rare and costs money to operate/maintain. These guys have to pay the local municipalities to be able to connect to the sewer, maintain, clean, stock their equipment (and pay someone to do this) & times are tough for all….$5 is not a reason to not use this convenience at a PFJ while you are already stopped for fuel or services.

41. Brian says:

NEVER NERVER Give them your Social Security Number. Never give anyone your SSA number.

Good Sam says: Brian – as statement below in Gary’s comment, this is a requirement from Pilot Flying J in order to extend the credit via the RV Plus Card. We do respect your feelings about your SSN, and realize that not everyone will wish to take advantage of this member benefit. We hope you’ll take advantage of our other money-saving benefits, and we appreciate you being a Good Sam member!

42. Gary Woodard says:

You have got to be kidding. You want my SS number. “NO WAY”" I had my ID stolen by someone using it. It took me three years to get it cleared up. I cannot believe Good Sam is a party to this.Goodby PFJ. “HELLO PETRO”

Good Sam says: Gary, we understand and respect your feelings about your SS number, especially since you have experienced trouble with identity theft in the past. This is a requirement from Pilot Flying J in order to extend the credit via the RV Plus Card. This is not a Good Sam Club requirement and Good Sam Club will not have visibility to any confidential information provided to Pilot Flying J. We hope this helps to clarify this a bit. Thanks for being a Good Sam member!

43. Johnnie Dekle says:

I quit using the Frequent Fueler card last year after several failures and frustrtions. The dollar or two savings was not worth the aggravation it caused. You can call it a charge card if you wish but if you buy now and pay later, even the next day, you are buying on credit. I have been using credit cards for 50 plus years and have not paid any interest on them in over 10 years. I prefer the Chase/BP card. It rebates 5% currently but will change to 15 cents in March. I believe that is 5 times more than 3 cents.
    Johnnie

44. James Rosacker says:

I applied for the new card approximatly one month ago, and was give a number that was to be assigned to me and that the card with be comng in the mail in a short while. As of yet I have not recieved anything or heard anything from anybody. Please look into this and respond.
    Jim

Good Sam says: Jim – we apologize for this inconvenience. Due to the overwhelming response from Good Sam members, Pilot Flying J has been delayed a few weeks in sending out the RV Plus Cards. We certainly appreciate your patience as well as your interest in this program.

45. Tom Bronk says:

Most everything that could be said about this “new benefit” has been said, but I would just like to add to other comments about Pilot/Flying J fuel prices. Having just completed an 8000 mile road trip last fall we found their fuel prices higher than most anyone else. Even with the discount you can buy fuel cheaper at other companies. I commend Good Sam for trying, but they needed to get in bed with a company that provide a real benefit.

46. Dan Lechliter says:

I see in one of these posts that makes some comments that Discover Card gives you 2 cents per gallon back. I don’t know what Discover card you’re using but right now I get 5% BACK ON FUEL PURCHASES WITH MY DISCOVER OPEN ROAD CARD!!! That comes to a whopping TWENTY CENTS per gallon, NOT 2 CENTS!! Discover’s Open Road credit card program gives you 5% for three months, then 2% for three months and then reverts back to 5% for three, etc.. Even at 2%, you’re still getting 8 cents per gallon! Best deal around. As far as giving a SSN to get the new FJP benefits, I wouldn’t give mine out for something like that either. It pays to be VERY judicious with giving out that number with all the identity theft going on. Dan L. Oxnard, Ca.

47. Darlene Corrao-Plant says:

Have carried the Flying J fuel discount card for many years. Usually pump price was one to three cents a gallon less than other vendors, plus the one cent. Not bad. Noticed some time ago that FJ prices seemed to be above other fuel dispensers. Now I know why, merge with Pilot. The Good Sam/ PFJ card seems to be ice in the winter. GS keeps saying, “It is different from a regular credit card, paid in full every month—” GS is dodging the issue. If not paid in full there is interest. What’s more, road experience teaches that “discount” offers typically do not offer real savings. Nobody is giving anything away! If PFJ is offering .08 a gallon discount, look at the pump price. Usually about 8-10 cents higher than other fuel stops. At least for diesel. Made a special effort to get the PFJ card, many years a life member with my husband. Thanks for all the comments. Now, I pass. Cash works wonders, and it is available in reasonable amounts at most stores. Think “Wally”. GS needs to be more of a “member” benefit club than a marketing/sales organization. A credit card is a credit card, and ultimately cost something. “Discover”, Cosco? Look at the membership cost, do the arithmetic and , as I have, discover that no one is giving away anything. Including GS. Thanks, again.

48. John Johnson says:

NO WAY GOOD SAM!!!!! I dropped you like a hot potato over the flying pilot card. What a Crock! I must remind you that customers made you what you are today and customers can break you. Be careful what you hook-up with in the future. Most people are not that stupid.

Good luck in the future…………

49. Troy Orf says:

The reason I signed up is because the Pilot near our home in WA is always 3-4 cents cheaper than the other stations for diesel. What is aggravating though is I signed up the day this offer was announced and it’s now March 2, 2012. Going on 2 months is unacceptable.

50. I don’t give my social security no to anyone , and those that do wonder why their bank accounts etc get ripped off. A credit card I don’t need either. The interest paid in the long run is more then the savings of the discount.Therefore I don’t use credit cards, and thats one reason why I have extra cash for my camping trips. I am a Good Sam member and enjoy the benefits, but please don’t go to this kind of ripe off.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] station charges and at least $0.03 savings per gallon on gas and $0.05 per gallon on diesel." NEW Benefit! Members Save at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers! | Good Sam Club News __________________ Scott (aka. TreadLightly) – 2002 X Lmtd 4×4 v10 – Black w/ Tan, '05 Front [...]