It’s hurricane season! Be Prepared
From June through November each year, there is most always a storm brewing somewhere in the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico, just gathering steam to come ashore. You can never be too prepared when it comes to these types of natural disasters – whether it’s hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes that tend to affect your region of the country.
So we’ve put together a handy list of emergency supplies to have on hand in the event of a natural disaster.
Through September 9, 2012, SAVE $50 on Honda Generators at Camping World!
Keep a list of contact information for reference.
- Local Emergency Management Office
- County Law Enforcement
- County Public Safety Fire/Rescue
- State, County and City/Town Government
- Local Hospitals
- Local Utilities
- Local American Red Cross
- Local TV Stations
- Local Radio Stations
- Your Property Insurance Agent
- Seven gallons of water per person (1/2 gallon for drinking and 2 gallon for bathing, tooth brushing, etc.).
- Store water in clean, plastic containers.
- Purchase foods that require no refrigeration:
- Canned foods
- Canned juices, milk, soup
- Soft drinks, instant coffee and tea.
- Pet owners should have plans to care for their animals to bring them indoors if they’re usually outdoors.
- Newspapers or cat litter for your pet’s sanitary needs
- Moist canned foods in order to preserve water
- First aid kit, rubbing alcohol
- Aspirin, non-aspirin pain reliever and antacid
- Extra prescription medication
- Toilet paper, towels, soap, shampoo
- At least one change of clothing per person
- Sturdy shoes, hat and work gloves
- Blankets and pillows or sleeping bags
Additional Emergency Supplies
- Battery-operated radio
- Non-electric can opener
- Extra batteries
- Charcoal, waterproof matches, extra propane for gas grills for outside use
- Fire extinguisher
- Portable cooler
- Plenty of absorbent towels
- Plastic trash bags
- Wind-up or battery-operated clock
- Tarp or sheet plastic, duct tape, hammer and nails (for temporary roof repairs)
- Cleaning supplies such as chlorine bleach
- Aluminum foil, paper napkins and plates, plastic cups.
Plus, in the event of a power outage, it never hurts to have a generator on hand. Through September 9, 2012, SAVE $50 on Honda Generators at Camping World!