- Good Sam Club News - http://blog.goodsamclub.com -
Winter Driving Tips for RVers
Posted By Good Sam On January 31, 2014 @ 6:00 am In RV Tips | No Comments
Many RVers visit snowbird destinations when the mercury dips, while others put their vehicles in storage and wait out the cold. But if you’re one of the brave souls who hit the road while the mercury dips, it’s important to remember that cold-weather driving requires a heightened level of caution.
Here are some tips for driving in frigid conditions.
• Remember, even if temperatures are above freezing, the road might still be wet, and ice might remain in shady areas or on exposed roadways and bridges.
• Drive at a slower speed than normal and give yourself room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the vehicle in front of you.
• Allow yourself time when driving in cold weather. Check the weather forecasts to make sure that the road ahead is safe. If not, you might want to put your travel plans on hold.
• Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
• Use your lights to boost your visibility to other motorists. In addition, make sure your lights and windshield are always clean.
• Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
• Breakdowns, accidents and delays happen. Always notify someone about your route, and bring extra clothes to keep warm if you’re in one place for a long time. Needless to say, keep your cell phone handy.
• Fog can create the illusion of moving at a speed that’s slower than you’re actually traveling. Always be aware of your speed in foggy conditions, and react accordingly.
Check your RV’s owner’s manual for operation in cold-weather conditions.
Article printed from Good Sam Club News: http://blog.goodsamclub.com
URL to article: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/01/winter-driving-tips-for-rvers/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2014%2F01%2Fwinter-driving-tips-for-rvers%2F
 Image: http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2014%2F01%2Fwinter-driving-tips-for-rvers%2F&title=Winter+Driving+Tips+for+RVers
 Image: http://www.twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goodsamclub.com%2F2014%2F01%2Fwinter-driving-tips-for-rvers%2F&text=Winter+Driving+Tips+for+RVers
 Image: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Snow-RV.jpg
 Tips for Driving Large Vehicles: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2012/01/drivingrvtips/
 6 Itinerary Tips: Planning a Safer, Smoother Trip: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2013/03/planning-a-safer-smoother-trip/
 Tips on what to do if an RV tire blows out: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2011/06/rvtireblowout/
 GOOD SAM RV PARKING RIGHTS COUNCIL NOTIFICATION: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/09/good-sam-rv-parking-rights-southington-ct/
 Unsupported Mattress: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/09/unsupported-mattress/
 GOOD SAM RV PARKING RIGHTS COUNCIL NOTIFICATION: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/08/good-sam-rv-parking-rights-council-notification/
 Liberty and Justice: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/08/liberty-and-justice-2/
 Why Buy Travel Medical Insurance: http://blog.goodsamclub.com/2014/08/why-buy-travel-medical-insurance/
Copyright © 2010 Good Sam Club. All rights reserved.